Kiryat Shmuel

Kiryat Shmuel (Hebrew: קריית שמואל) is a neighborhood in central Jerusalem, Israel founded in 1926. It is named for Rabbi Samuel Salant, the Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi of Jerusalem in 1878-1909.[1] Kiryat Shmuel is located between Rehavia and Katamon.

History

Kiryat Shmuel was dedicated on May 8, 1929, in the presence of the Ashkenazi chief rabbi, Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook. Forty houses were built by the beginning of World War II, and another ten were completed by 1948

The land was purchased with money from a charitable fund established in honor of the rabbi’s ninetieth birthday which also provided loans for building homes. Rabbi Zalman Yosef Halevi Soloveitchik acquired land size 54 acres located south of the older neighborhood Rehavia Order of Christian Catholic. The neighborhood plan has been prepared by the architect Joshua Salant divided the area into 124 plots each the size of 300 square meters. In the preparations were saved 2 plots for public purposes. The neighborhood was inaugurated in 1929 and most of the first residents were immigrants from the old settlement which began to be built condominiums at 3 floors intended for use as rental apartments. Prior to the Revolutionary War in the neighborhood were built about 50 houses. Over the years, the increase of the spread of the neighborhoods with in this area of Jerusalem changed the character of the neighborhood and this neighborhood almost entirely merged with the better known neighborhood – Rehavia.  The regulations of the society stipulated that the members be at least eighteen years of age, and that they conduct themselves “in accordance with the Torah, both the written and the orally transmitted.

At the Kadima house on Berlin Stin the neighborhood, in August 1947 the UNSCOP Commission’s recommendations to establish a Jewish state in Israelwas made, which was approved later in November as “United Nations resolution.

Landmarks

 

Supreme Military Tribunal of the British Mandate, Kiryat Shmuel

The imposing building across from the President’s House in Kiryat Shmuel was the St. Antonio Monastery, designed in 1936 by the Italian architect Antonio Barlucci as a Franciscan school for girls. When World War II broke out, the British Mandatory authorities confiscated the building. It was fortified and turned into the Supreme Military Tribunal of the British Mandate. Members of the Lehi and Etzel Jewish underground were tried here, and some were sentenced to death.[2]

Call Us: +972-2-5660262
- Teperberg Realty - Quality properties and real estate in Jerusalem, luxury properties for sale and rent -